The Department of Biology at Lafayette College invites applications for a Teaching and Research Support Specialist beginning 2 January 2022.
Teaching and Research Support Specialist – Biology
The Biology Department at Lafayette College seeks a full-time Teaching and Research Support Specialist (TRSS) to begin January 2, 2022. The TRSS works with the faculty and staff to support the teaching of our introductory biology lab sequence, particularly the SEA-PHAGES lab in the semester it is offered, and the laboratories associated with other biology courses. This individual will also maintain the stockroom records and an adequate inventory of chemicals and consumables for the department’s teaching efforts. This individual is also responsible for ensuring the proper disposal of all departmental chemical waste. As a result, the TRSS is responsible for coordinating with the department secretary for purchases and with both the departmental technician and the College Safety Officer for hazardous materials disposal. The TRSS also interfaces directly with faculty to discern teaching needs and student research needs. The TRSS is formally supervised by the Head of the Department of Biology.
Responsibilities of the position include (but are not limited to):
• Assist the General Biology Laboratory Coordinator in the preparation of laboratories. It is anticipated that the SEA-PHAGES lab will consume significant time in the semester it is offered.
• Prepare reagents and supplies requested by faculty for biology laboratory courses, including set-up and break-down of small equipment and instrumentation on an as needed basis.
• Supervise an orderly chemical stockroom and associated records as needed to meet legal requirements. Manage the inventory system for the department by adding or removing items as they are received and consumed. Maintain appropriate levels of supplies, both consumables and chemicals, for department-wide teaching efforts.
• Monitor training and sign up for shared equipment (scanning electron microscope (SEM), confocal microscope, plate readers, etc.) and serve as the point of contact for the software upgrades on laptop computers used in the teaching labs.
• Supervise the disposal of hazardous wastes by providing safe waste containers for laboratories, removing them to a central point when they are full, and coordinating with Environmental Health and Safety and the Department of Chemistry when campus-wide waste pick-ups are scheduled.
• Assist in transportation of students by van for field-based labs.
• Perform other related duties as identified by the Head of the Department.
M.A. or M.S. degree in biology, or related science, with experience teaching and performing research with undergraduate students. Must have a valid driver’s license and possess a high level of independence and trouble-shooting skills. Familiarity with the department’s instrumentation (MiSeq, AQ300, qPCR machine, flow cytometer, confocal microscope, SEM, Tecan plate reader) and experience supervising the SEA-PHAGES considered a plus.
Application deadline November 7, 2021. Salary based on experience. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to http://apply.interfolio.com/96405
Lafayette is deeply committed to creating a diverse community, one that is inclusive and responsive and is supportive of each and all of its faculty, students, and staff. All members of the College community share in the responsibility for creating, maintaining, and developing a learning environment in which difference is valued, equity is sought, and inclusiveness is practiced. All Lafayette operations reflect the College’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, Access, and Inclusion (DEAI) initiatives, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.